Followers

Timeline of events


09/2008 - Went off birth control
10/2008 - Found out I was pregnant
11/2008 - First doctor appt. HB is 188
1/2009 - Baby looks good, HB 163
2/2009 - It's a BOY! Carter Thomas
3/2009 - HB in the 140-150 range
4/2009 - Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes
5/2009 - Went on the Ellen Show's Mother's Day Special
6/2009 - Carter Thomas W. was born
6/2010 - Carter's first birthday
2/2011 - He's getting so big, someone stop him from growing so fast!
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Carter's Birth Story

As you know I was induced on Tuesday then sent home because I had made no progress. They decided not to check me before then sent me home because my contractions had stopped so they figured I'd need another round of meds to induce on Wednesday. The thing is I was still having contractions but their monitor wasn't picking them up when I was laying on my sides, which is what I was doing the last half of the day.

So we got home that night and I was still having contractions but went for a small walk to try to get things started. I went to bed that night (on the couch so I wouldn't disturb Grant) and was still feeling some contractions but they weren't bad. Until I woke up at 1:30 am in pain, went to the bathroom and my water broke. Then all hell broke loose. We got to the hospital at 2:00 am and I was checked and was still only 1 cm dilated. They checked me an hour later though and I was 3cm. By that time I was ready for an epidural. I was going to try to go naturally but between not having slept in 3 days and being in THAT much pain I was begging for it.

They told me I had to wait until I got to 4 cm though. Okay, I got to 3 quickly so that shouldn't be too hard right? NOT! I was checked over and over again and I was still at a 3. Finally the doctor came in at 8:00 am (so I've been laboring for 6 horrible hours at the hospital) and said that the baby's head has moved up and that's not why I'm dilating anymore and it's likely that I won't. Also there was meconium in the fluid (which I knew, because it wasn't clear when my water broke) so they wanted to do a c-section. I had no problems with it at that point because I was in so much pain and I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

The c-section was a breeze. It sounds weird but I almost enjoyed it. I was shaking the entire time I was in labor but once I got the spinal I was numb and warm and it felt so good I kept falling asleep.

Carter Thomas W. was born at 9:23 am Tuesday June 30th weighing 7 pounds and 19" long. And as you can see he has a full head of hair. We're not sure where all that hair came from because neither DH nor I had a lot of hair when we were born.

Recovery hasn't been too bad. Grant had the rest of the week off work so we are able to enjoy Carter together. We're both just so in love with our little boy and I can't believe how amazing Grant is with him.

3 comments:

Cindy Lou Who said...

YEA!!! I am so happy for you two. I hope your getting sleep when you can. Newborn babies are such a miracle. I can't wait to finally meet him. Still working on Kaci to come out...help me! ;o)

Kaci said...

Awhhh man, I can't believe they wouldn't give you a epi...TORTURE! Glad he's here safe and sound. XOXO to you and Carter!

Alison said...

Congratulations and welcome Baby Carter!!!