Followers

Timeline of events


09/2008 - Went off birth control
10/2008 - Found out I was pregnant
11/2008 - First doctor appt. HB is 188
1/2009 - Baby looks good, HB 163
2/2009 - It's a BOY! Carter Thomas
3/2009 - HB in the 140-150 range
4/2009 - Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes
5/2009 - Went on the Ellen Show's Mother's Day Special
6/2009 - Carter Thomas W. was born
6/2010 - Carter's first birthday
2/2011 - He's getting so big, someone stop him from growing so fast!
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Olivia's birth story

Yeah I'm about 2 1/2 weeks behind but I figured I should post the birth story now before I start to forget all the little details.

The cesarean was scheduled for 7:30 am on Friday morning, February 10th. We had to be there at 5:00 am though, lucky us. We got there right at 5:00 and after checking into the emergency room entrance I was walked back to my "labor room". Even though I wasn't going to be laboring they had to get me started on IV fluids and prepped for surgery. I had a really nice nurse who only had to poke me twice to get the IV in (as opposed to the 10+ sticks they attempted when I had Carter).

After the IV we anxiously waited...


Grant snapped one last belly picture before they put the catheter in...


Luckily the time went by fast and before we knew it they were ready for surgery. In addition to my regular doctor we had a friend of ours, who's also a surgeon, assist with the surgery. And his wife took pictures. I absolutely LOVE that we have pictures of Olivia being born! *don't worry I won't be posting any gory photos on here*

The thing I was most nervous about was getting the spinal. Luckily I had a great anesthesiologist (we requested the same one I had with Carter) and the only thing I felt was the shot to numb my back before the spinal. I didn't feel the spinal at all.  After I was all numbed up and ready to go they let Grant in the room and began working away. Although Grant was behind the curtain with me he had prior consent from my doctor to peek around and watch what they were doing. He loved it. I laid there and tried to remember every detail of the surgery and everything I felt since I remember so little from Carter's cesarean. If you've never had a cesarean before let me just say that it is weird. Being able to feel tugging and movement but no pain. The doctors were awesome though, they were telling me everything that they were doing as they were doing it. They told me they were getting ready to take her out then all the sudden I heard her cry and everyone comment on how much hair she has. That's when I started crying. 

They cleaned her up a little then Grant brought her to me.

 

I got several minutes to see her pretty face and tell her how much I love her, then she was off to the nursery along with Grant. But before Grant left the operating room the doctor had him join him and pointed out and named all of my insides for Grant to see.

While they were sewing me back together the anesthesiologist asked if I wanted a sedative to help me sleep. I polity declined because my number one goal was to remember everything I could and NOT sleep. After they finished me up I was off to recovery. This is when I did a lot of sleeping after having Carter. I'm guessing that I did get the sedative after having him. This time though I was wide awake and alert and so so anxious to see my little girl again. I was only in recovery for about 40 minutes or so and then it was time to head to my private room. Yay!

My mom, step-dad and mother in law were in the room with Grant and Olivia but as soon as I got there they let us get some family alone time. I was thankful for that. They told me that Olivia practically came out of my belly rooting because she was so hungry so I feed her right away. Then we had some quality bonding.


Later that day Carter got to visit and meet his sister.

 

When he came in the room he was excited to see me and then Olivia let out a little cry and Carter quickly turned to see what made that noise. Then when he saw her someone asked him who that was and he said "baby Sam". Haha! Baby Sam is our best friends baby, who i now six months old. It took him awhile to realize that his "sissy" wasn't in my belly anymore. We got him meeting her for the first time on video so one of these days I'll have to upload it and post it.

Our hospital stay was pretty awesome. We were the only ones there Friday and Saturday so we had some great personal service. One of the nights the nurse even came and got Olivia for a couple of hours and rocked her so we could get some sleep. Although our experience was nice I was still anxious to get home so we were out of there Sunday as soon as possible.

Carter really loves his little sister. He's always asking where she is and constantly wanting to give her hugs and kisses and "pet her head". It's so cute. I love my family!




Today Carter is 2 years, 7 months and 4 weeks old and Olivia is 19 days old.


2 comments:

Kaci said...

That last picture is so precious! =) Welcome Olivia!

Cindy Lou Who said...

I love it!!!!